Staggered string holes

mark1
Top Producer

Staggered string holes

Postby mark1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 am

Sorry if this has been asked before.Why are the string holes in the Mosrite trem staggard? I was thinking it might be for seperate break angle to stop rattle?!?! :? .......Anyone?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Staggard string holes

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:04 am

Yes it has been asked before. After while I'll try to find the post if someone else doesn't find it first. Basically it boils down to staying in tune while depressing the vibrato.
Danny Ellison

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:41 am

I've heard the "staying in tune" theory mentioned before but I'm not convinced. Perhaps the earlier post on the subject will clear things up for me. It's obvous that the holes further from the center of the pivot axis will move more and effect the individual strings accordingly. I'm eagerly awaiting the explanation how this would help it stay in tune. I remember the copyright drawings that turn up on Ebay once in a while but they don't have any text explaining the reason for the staggered drills.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:09 pm

Man, Terry, I was hoping you'd explain it. I was thinking you were the one that gave the previous explanation but maybe it was Deke. When I get some time I'll try to find the old topic.
Danny Ellison

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Here's the only topic I could find discussing the string holes in the vibrato. Although nothing more than speculation. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=842
Danny Ellison

mark1
Top Producer

Postby mark1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:38 pm

The one I like best so far is Dekes answer..."But it looks cool". Some where there has to be a correct answer. All you builders out there must have some thoughts and theories on this..........There will be a test on Friday ;)

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I can't say just what the reason was but I find it hard to believe that it will keep it in tune any better than any other vibrato unit. I have used Bigsby's fore so long and don't have any problems with them. Some times things start out to be an improvement but don't really make that much difference but because it is so much different from everything else in it's class that people just have to believe it is the best thing to come along. Once you have yourself convinced that it does what it says it does ( even if it doesn't ) no one can convince you any different.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Jim, I didn't mean it would keep the guitar in tune. It's theory is presumed to keep the guitar in tune when depressing the vibrato while playing a chord. Unless Semie told someone personally his reasoning behind the off set string holes, I doubt we will ever get any more than speculation. If you read his patent that was suppose to be the idea for it.
Danny Ellison

sleeperNY
Top Producer

Postby sleeperNY » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 pm

I know Danny, I was just giving my opinion as to what may have happened. I agree that we will never know for sure.

Jim
Gretsch-6122-58
Gretsch-6122-59
Gretsch-6120-vs-55
NOS Partsright Mosrite by Jim
Hallmark 60 Custom
Fender Twin Custom 15 Fender Tone Master Twin
Fender Bassman 59 LTD
Peavey Delta Blues
Korg AX3000G

mosriteforever

Postby mosriteforever » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Just my 2 cents,
Having made a couple of these, I tried once, to drill them in a straight line across the rocker. There is not enough room to drill the holes and then wallow them out so the string balls recess properly in the rocker. It's just my opinion, but as well I think it may weaken the rocker at this point if they were in a straight line. Also, you must consider that the string holes cannot be so close to the rod that runs through the rocker as to weaken the rocker where the rocker pivots on the bearings. That being said, it is interesting how the hole placement in the rocker sort of mirrors the bridge saddle placement on the bridge when the bridge is properly intonated. Maybe that is where the stay tuned vibrato originated. I have heard less plausible claims from snake oil salesmen. As earlier stated, we may never know.

Mosriteforever!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”