Operation JRM2 engaged

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Operation JRM2 engaged

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:39 am

I started building today and will get pics up in a few days but in the mean time I'm allready thinking about the ventures style guitar I wanna build. I'm thinking a mahogany back with emerald green stained quilted top and a flame maple set neck with ebony fingerboard. All clearcoat with medium/jumbo frets with a 10" radius fingerboard. What do you guys think?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Operation JRM2 engaged

Postby dubtrub » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:02 am

KRamone27 wrote: I'm thinking a mahogany back with emerald green stained quilted top and a flame maple set neck with ebony fingerboard. All clearcoat with medium/jumbo frets with a 10" radius fingerboard. What do you guys think?

I love the idea. Looking forward to watching it come to life. I don't know about jumbo frets on a 24 3/4 scale. I make my clones with a 25" scale and used standard Fender sized frets. The spacing still gets a little tight in the upper register, and I have slender fingers. Jumbo frets above the 12th fret would be useless. I use a 9 1/2" radius on my guitars and can get plenty of 'bend' with them.

P.S. I sent you an email link for guitar making wood at discount 'July special' prices.
Danny Ellison

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 pm

That's cool, thanks for the link. It's a wood color scheme I've been thinking about for years but never got another opinion about it.

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:03 pm

KRamone27 wrote:I started building today

Well as far as I got was making another mock up body to get my final measurements in place but that's as far as I got on that. Since I got that free poplar that's going to end up being my body wood. I just gotta get a hold of my old buddy to mill them down to size than I can finally begin. I've been trying to gather up the hardware (and building the hardware). I had pics of the mock up process but my hard drive crashed and all was lost. But as I get started I will for sure post some pics. in the mean time here's a bridge I purchased for the project. L8r, Kevin

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:41 pm

Last Sunday I was able to go to my father in laws house to mill down all the poplar lumber to final dimensions. So this weekend I'm going to focus on cutting the lumber to appropriate lengths. I cut the lumber into 2-1/2" wide by 1-3/4" thick boards and the final length of each piece will be 19-1/2" long. Then I will be able to glue and clamp the boards together and hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have produced a body. Kevin

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Well today I got all my lumber cut to length and I do have enough for 3 bodies but I'm only going to make 2 do to the fact that a couple main pieces are still kinda wet so I am letting the rest air dry for a while then I'll check it with my hygrometer for moisture content. Everything else is within 6-8%. I got one body blank glued up and drying as I'm typing and I will glue up the other body blank hopefully sometime tomorrow. L8r, Kevin

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:42 am

Well today while my wife is out spending my hard earned money I was in my little shop getting the body sanded and prepped to rough cut my body. My hand plane gouged the back a little but nothing that wood fill putty can't fix.

Rough cut of the body outline before template routing.

some shots of the front.

And the back.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:52 am

Kev,
'Dat look 8-) !
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

KRamone27
Master Contributor

Postby KRamone27 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks Dennis hopefully by days end I'll have the control cavity and pickup cavities and neck pocket routed.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:06 pm

We'll wait......Image

................... :mrgreen: ....................
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”