The "Real Thing"

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

The "Real Thing"

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:45 am

I may have discovered that I'm on the wrong forum here.
Scanning through one of the other threads, I noted that someone refered to the current MIJ Mosrites as the "Real Thing". I sat here absolutely dumbfounded.
Regardless of the quality of construction, sound, feel, or visual impact, the MIJs are copies of the real thing at best.
Am I completely alone in my admiration of the actual "Real Thing" ?

Don

thunderhead
Top Producer

Re: The "Real Thing"

Postby thunderhead » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:17 am

Compared to a Hallmark{I own one and Love it} Eastwood, Wilson Brothers,Dillion, Aria or any other copy, a Fillmore Mosrite is the Real Thing. At least as far as what is currently being produced today, it is built to a higher degree of true Mosrite specifications than any of the others. Does the Average up and coming Mosrite Fan have 3 to 6 Grand to buy a Vintage, Original Run Mosrite? Is a Modern American Standard Strat or Tele not the Real Thing? ;)
Click on logo to visit website

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:22 am

The current Fillmore Mosrites are as real as the current Fender guitars. Neither are being made by Semie or Leo anymore. Whomever owns the patent and name is what defines them as 'real' regardless of where they are built.

It took me a few years to accept that logic.
Danny Ellison

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:39 am

Exactly Right Danny!!! Artie is Selling the most Accurate Mosrite being Produced Today, with an "Heir to the Throne" involved also. ;)

bakeoboy
Top Producer

Postby bakeoboy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 am

Thats correct!
Fillmore is the Owner of Mosrite! the Mosrites we sell are the continuation of the original Mosrite brand.
anything else is just a copy.

brutus
Top Producer

Postby brutus » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 am

L.V. you are not alone! We all love vintage Mosrites. To me it's not a question of "real" or "not real" it's more "vintage" or "new" Mosrites. My mid 60's Mosrite was probably never seen or touched by Semie, so it's not a real Mosrite? I think that if Semie was alive and owned the name he would be making hand-built customs but, also having the majority built in Japan. A Mosrite with hand wound Dana Mo pups
being sold by Artie at Front Porch in Bakersfield C.A. what not Mosrite about that!

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:39 am

The way I see it is that a 'copy' is a guitar that looks like the real thing in every aspect except the brand name on the headstock. Looking at it that way the MIJ Mosrites aren't copies but current Mosrite products.

jtr654
Top Producer

Postby jtr654 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:57 pm

They are all copies/clone just some are better than other. Just because it has Name is correct dosn't make it real it just what currently available.

thunderhead
Top Producer

Postby thunderhead » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 pm

jtr654 wrote:They are all copies/clone just some are better than other. Just because it has Name is correct dosn't make it real it just what currently available.

So the Fender Custom Shop is making copies???? The same with Gibson????? If it looks like a Duck and Quacks like a Duck quess what??? It might be a Duck!!!! ;)

LOSTVENTURE
Valued Member

Postby LOSTVENTURE » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 pm

Personally I think jtr654 was referring to Mosrites in particular. I have read to much about both Fender and Gibson to see any parallel in the historical path from creation to current state. I mean how many guitars do you think Leo had a hand in actually building? He was an engineer, a thinker, not a woodworker. Take a good look at a Tele sometime. And seeing the simplicity of that instrument, it has to be said, that Semie was creating a lot more that an inverted stratocaster and keeping his hands on that creation all throughout it's development.
Sure it's nice to see "Mosrite" on the headstock, but have a little respect for the man originally responsible.
Personally again, I would like to see a completely USA made Mosrite with a Moseley taking the profit. That would come closer to being the "Real Thing" and it, unfortunately, will probably never happen again.
Good night guys.
Don

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”