Would like to build a Mosrite

will2027

Would like to build a Mosrite

Postby will2027 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 am

HI all,
I'm very new to Mosrite guitars and would like to build one. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of plans, and order parts from.
Any help with this and what kind of Mosrite would be best to build would be greatly appreciated.

Will

101Volts
Master Contributor

Re: Would like to build a Mosrite

Postby 101Volts » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi Will, There are templates of the Ventures I model on eBay pretty often and they cost $50 or $60 if you want to go that route. I'm not sure how accurate they are, Having never purchased a set but I have a Ventures II (Of the later model) That I'm restoring. I don't know how close the neck is compared to a Ventures I model but here are some measurements of my Ventures II neck and frets, in thousandths of an inch.

The frets:

.070 wide, .022 or .020 tall on the bass side tapering to .015 on the treble side. Frets that are .070 wide aren't made now to my knowledge but Dunlop has a set that's .072 wide and .035 tall so if you want the frets to be vintage spec, Using these frets and filing them down is as close as you can get.

http://www.shopamw.com/servlet/the-4020 ... LAT/Detail

The neck:

Width of neck halfway between zero fret and first fret: 1.541 (Its 1.553 at the zero fret and behind that at the string guide there's a slight taper to the headstock)

Neck thickness from back of neck to top of fretboard: 845 or .850 except at and near volute and neck heel where there are tapers

Fretboard radius: 10" or so

Fretboard to volute thickness, Between zero fret and string guide: 1.380

Fretboard to neck heel thickness at 16th fret: 1.125 (The heel has an angle to it too)

Also, There's a bevel on the sides of the neck and the frets are extremely low in this bevel. This might only be on the cheaper models like mine and I think it was a way Mosrite avoided rounding the fret ends.

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

stl80
Top Producer

Postby stl80 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 am

Good luck when you get it rolling.
Jim

will2027

Postby will2027 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 pm

101Volts wrote:Hi Will, There are templates of the Ventures I model on eBay pretty often and they cost $50 or $60 if you want to go that route. I'm not sure how accurate they are, Having never purchased a set but I have a Ventures II (Of the later model) That I'm restoring. I don't know how close the neck is compared to a Ventures I model but here are some measurements of my Ventures II neck and frets, in thousandths of an inch.

The frets:

.070 wide, .022 or .020 tall on the bass side tapering to .015 on the treble side. Frets that are .070 wide aren't made now to my knowledge but Dunlop has a set that's .072 wide and .035 tall so if you want the frets to be vintage spec, Using these frets and filing them down is as close as you can get.

http://www.shopamw.com/servlet/the-4020 ... LAT/Detail

The neck:

Width of neck halfway between zero fret and first fret: 1.541 (Its 1.553 at the zero fret and behind that at the string guide there's a slight taper to the headstock)

Neck thickness from back of neck to top of fretboard: 845 or .850 except at and near volute and neck heel where there are tapers

Fretboard radius: 10" or so

Fretboard to volute thickness, Between zero fret and string guide: 1.380

Fretboard to neck heel thickness at 16th fret: 1.125 (The heel has an angle to it too)

Also, There's a bevel on the sides of the neck and the frets are extremely low in this bevel. This might only be on the cheaper models like mine and I think it was a way Mosrite avoided rounding the fret ends.

Austin

Thanks Austin, for the infomation.
What about buying parts (bridge, tremlo etc.)
Does anyone know where you can order the hardware?

101Volts
Master Contributor

Postby 101Volts » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm

You're welcome. As for parts, If you want all Mosrite parts you might be able to purchase some from Artie (Bakeoboy) As he stocks reissue Mosrite guitars in his store, Front Porch Music. I haven't asked him if he has those parts available though. And if you want similar tuners to what Mosrite used in the 60s these work pretty well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KLUSON-3X3-NICK ... 4cee979407

Austin
1966 Ventures II (German Carved, B670.)
1970s "Not a Blues Bender" Bodies: 2.
1976 Brass Rail Deluxe #10.
2013 Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:01 pm

will2027 wrote:What about buying parts (bridge, tremlo etc.)
Does anyone know where you can order the hardware?

Sooner or later you can get about anything you need right here, :arrow: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Mosrit ... SRCHX:SRCH
Danny Ellison

MWaldorf
Site Admin

Postby MWaldorf » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 am

Will,
I would strongly recommend you search around the forum here to review builds by members here. There are a number of excellent builders who have been kind enough to share step by step photos of their process.
Good luck with the build. I hope you'll share photos with us as you progress as well.
Mel
Oy vey - it's MESHUGGA BEACH PARTY - The world's premier Jewish Surf Music Band!

What? Couldn't tell the logo is a link? So click here, what's the hold up? http://www.meshuggabeachparty.com

will2027

Postby will2027 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:54 am

Thanks for all the help. Time to get busy, I'll post the build here when I get started.
Thanks again everyone.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”