Hallmark custom 60 & fender jaguar

Hydra19
Valued Member

Hallmark custom 60 & fender jaguar

Postby Hydra19 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:04 am

Hi guys,
I got mosrite fever and couldn't afford an original after never even playing one so I decided to contact Hallmark and see how much it would cost in total to ship to the UK. Bob Shade was very helpful, and I could tell he would be a nice guy to work with. I couldn't decide between the Fire Sparkle and the Sunset Sparkle, but as it turns out there was only one sparkle guitar left, and he reserved it for me :)

After sitting at customs for over a week, and them being unable to send it to me until the customs charge was paid I got a bit annoyed, as I was impatient. It arrived after a week, right on a friday to my office in that alligator case :) Bob helped me out with the shipping cost as well, as I would have had to pay 200 pounds extra just for customs charge to the UK (I'm not even British). I was very grateful and it just went to show how cool Bob is to work with.

I tried it when I got home and liked it, but broke a e string after trying to see how far the vibrato would go :) my mistake, all you need is a touch, no dive-bombing :) The more I played it the more I liked it. When it arrive the switch tip was broken off, so very hard to switch the pickups, Bob offered to send me a replacement right away, free of charge, of course but I couldn't wait and I was glad to buy one myself and solder it in. Once again, Bob was helpful in instructing which tip is best and how to install it.

I noticed it's not as bright as a Mosrite, but not that it's muddy or anything, it can get bright, especially with a reverb pedal :D The neck is fantastic, very fast and smooth. My friend came over to jam, and he is quite a fan of my Jaguar, as am I, but he loved this guitar, as do I :) It's got its own sound, and as I'm a big fan of the Ventures, you can tell it's right up that alley...

Not too many clips on youtube so I posted one after my friend came over to practice some tunes for an upcoming GNR tribute concert, but we never got around to even touching the les paul :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQNPT8gY ... re=mh_lolz

khai123

Re: Hallmark custom 60 & fender jaguar

Postby khai123 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:23 am

That sounds sweet! I have a Hallmark II through a Boss/Fender Reverb Stomp Box and a JCM 800, so were pretty close.

-Eyan

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:24 am

yeah, i plug it into the low input channel and it does sound pretty good, at least to me, although my playing needs some work...

khai123

Postby khai123 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:39 am

Your still way ahead of me. My playing in general isn't super awesome, but I just got into Surf so I'm even worse there. My forte is usually 70's punk, the Undertones, Ramones, Clash, etc. So Power Chords/Fifths and bends; that's about all.

-Eyan

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:53 am

thanks, i play mostly blues/ rock, and got into surf last summer, but it wasn't until november that I got the jaguar and got into the ventures, so I still consider myself somewhat of a novice, luckily, a guy from the offset forum sent me a copy of the lost legends of surf cds and astro or astro-man

I want a fender princeton but its 900 pounds over here and this marhsall was only 500 pounds and it's a total beast, still on the low input it takes pedals well and I'm sure with messing with the eq and preamp volume I can get a pretty good tone for even surf, of course the reverb pedal really pushes it there

Veenture
Master Contributor

Postby Veenture » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:32 pm

The clip with those two smiling faces on YouTube says it all, Hydra ;)
Those dreaded custom fees are a real pain for us guys living on this side of the pond, eh. :roll:

khai123

Postby khai123 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, I know that in the UK prices on just about anything new can just about kill a man dead; let alone some of the insane shipping charges like on your Hallmark. But, I just LOVE your Jaguar; that's my favorite version of it. I imagine it's got to play just great! Those lovely block markers 8-) .

-Eyan

Hydra19
Valued Member

Postby Hydra19 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:00 pm

thanks, it's a total beauty, I love the Jaguar, I've replaced the bridge, the tremolo (today), I've sanded the finish off the bindings, I got a tort guard, got the knobs, dipped them in coffee, got the aged pickup covers...I just love dressing it up, only a set of pickups to go and some F plates and/ or tuners and it will be almost perfect, it is a jaguar after all, and can't be perfect :)

Today I put flatwound 12s on it, and it plays great

khai123

Postby khai123 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Nothing better than making a guitar your own! I got a Grass Roots Les Paul out of a pawn shop ($250!) and it was lacking sparkle so I went all out. Took the pickup cover sprayed a bit of aged clear on 'em, did the same to the tuners, put some amber bells on it. Got some 300K pots and tucked 'em in al nice and cozy, got a faber solid aluminum tailpiece and now it ROCKS! Sound and look is a lot more of me than before. Also, put on some dice strap locks for a gamble ;)

-Eyan

Bob Shade
Master Contributor

Postby Bob Shade » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:46 am

It is really nice to see you guys playing and having a ball!

I think you got the right color, after all it matches your shirt! :)

Keep rocking you guys, (I wish I could join in)

Bob

Return to “Hallmark Guitars”