Wilson Bros. Guitars

dubtrub
Administrator

Wilson Bros. Guitars

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 20, 2008 4:57 pm

I don't know whether to consider these guitars a 'Mosrite clone' or classified as 'other guitars', but since there is a slight resemblance and no doubt influenced by the Mosrite design, I'll go ahead and post this here. So what is the general consensus on these. Do any of you have one or have played one. I see Desert Surfer has one posted in his collection photo's. I'm curious about their sound and feel of the neck. They look like a cross breed between Mosrite, Eastwood, with a little bit of a Stratocaster and Jazzmaster thrown in. Anybody know the maker of these guitars?

Wilson Bros. Guitars
Danny Ellison

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Re: Wilson Bros. Guitars

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 20, 2008 5:33 pm

It is definitely a Mosrite Clone. Don Wilson copied almost everything except the Vibrator bar which he used JM type. As I said in other thread, it is not in the same class as Japanese clone. The neck is a little wider, it plays and sounds OK. I bought this guitar because the autographs on guitar and case by Don Wilson. If not with the autographs, I probably would not have bought it. But for under $600, it is a good deal.

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 20, 2008 5:59 pm

"Uncle Semie" was once quoted as saying that all he basically did, was take a Stratocaster, flipped it over, trace it, and that's basically what became "the Ventures Model."
I don't know if it was Don or his Son, but I think they basically did the same thing. It looks to me that they had taken a Mosrite, flipped it over, and traced it.
Voila!! WILSON GUITAR! Ta Dah! ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue May 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Dennis, didn't you use to (or still do) have a Wilson Bros. guitar?

It looks more like they took a Stratocaster and applied the German carve, Mosrite shaped pickguard and Mosrite slanted style pickups, which evolved in to some type of 'well, kinda, could be, use your imagination' clone. Personally I don't find the design very appealing. Either make a decent copy or design something entirely new if you are going to go into mass production. That's why I think Hallmark has the right idea. I'm hoping some of the visitors to forum reading this will give an unbiased review of their experience with these guitars. heck I may be way out in 'left field' with my opinion and they may be a great guitar.

So, who make's them?
Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue May 20, 2008 6:29 pm

dubtrub wrote:Dennis, didn't you use to (or still do) have a Wilson Bros. guitar?

It looks more like they took a Stratocaster and applied the German carve, Mosrite shaped pickguard and Mosrite slanted style pickups, which evolved in to some type of 'well, kinda, could be, use your imagination' clone. Personally I don't find the design very appealing. Either make a decent copy or design something entirely new if you are going to go into mass production. That's why I think Hallmark has the right idea. I'm hoping some of the visitors to forum reading this will give an unbiased review of their experience with these guitars. heck I may be way out in 'left field' with my opinion and they may be a great guitar.

So, who make's them?

Nawh, I don't own one; I won't support a guitar that supposedly "replaces" the Mosrite. My older cousins turned me onto Ventures Albums and/other Albums of the late 60's, but as far as the Ventures are concerned, I will ALWAYS associate the Ventures w/the Mosrite Guitar, whether they want to talk about it or not.....I would like to know if anyone on this Forum, has bought "the Ventures-50 Years of Rock and Roll" Book.......I would R E A L L Y love to know what they had said about the "M" Guitar......

Desert Surfer
Top Producer

Postby Desert Surfer » Tue May 20, 2008 7:32 pm

dubtrub wrote:So, who make's them?

It was made in Korea. Don't know the name of the factory. Please advise if someone know.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 pm

The Venturettes. After I did a double take, I see they are playing Wilson Bros. Guitars. I want to play with their...uh.. band. :lol:

Danny Ellison

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat May 24, 2008 9:19 pm

Just be careful of the "G" string..... :shock:

SurfCat

Postby SurfCat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:46 am

I understand there is quite a serious interest in the VM-110 Wilson Brothers guitar.

Supposedly there is a forum for them and people track the history of EACH VM-110.

SurfCat

jfine
Top Producer

Postby jfine » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 am

As I've posted elsewhere on this forum, I had a Wilson Bros. VCM2003, Candy Apple Red, no body binding, Jazzmaster trem, made in Japan by Aria. Very well-made guitar, with a bigger neck than a Mosrite, but I had so much trouble with the trem and bridge that I had to send it back. Wilson Bros. was Don Wilson, his son Tim, and James Fox, and they were all great to deal with. After I went through having to send the VCM2003 back, I went to the NAMM show in 2005, the year they introduced the VM-110, and I was hoping they'd fixed the trem problem, but no such luck. Those are basically a less-expensive version of the VCM2003, made in Korea, I think. The VM-65 and -75 with a Strat-style trem are also made in Korea, and they're quite nice for the price. Aria used to make a VCM2001 in Japan, sunburst with binding and a Mosrite-style trem--that's what I really wanted, but they couldn't get me one.

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”