Question about strings lining up with pickup.

Picure

Question about strings lining up with pickup.

Postby Picure » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:53 am

Does anyone here have a Mosrite bass or guitar where all the strings are perfectly lined up with the pickup screws? I have a Fillmore Mosrite bass that has preciesly this problem which results in uneven output from string to string. In my case, my G string is significantly louder and my E string is quiet unless I play upstrokes, which gives me a sharp attack like a heavily compressed bass.

Anyone else have this problem? Or Fillmore's QC just suck really bad?

dubtrub
Administrator

Re: Question about strings lining up with pickup.

Postby dubtrub » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:54 am

Try loosening the strings, then loosen the screws holding the neck to the body. Now with everything loose, bump the bottom side of the neck upward. Hopefully there is any play in the pocket to allow this and you should be able to center the neck with the strings properly over the pickups. It doesn't take but a fraction of movement of the neck and the problem should be resolved.
Danny Ellison

Picure

Postby Picure » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:02 pm

dubtrub wrote:Try loosening the strings, then loosen the screws holding the neck to the body. Now with everything loose, bump the bottom side of the neck upward. Hopefully there is any play in the pocket to allow this and you should be able to center the neck with the strings properly over the pickups. It doesn't take but a fraction of movement of the neck and the problem should be resolved.

Sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't screwing the neck back in place put the strings right back to where they were again? Or would I have to drill new holes in the neck?

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:54 pm

No drilling. Try it exactly as I described with loose strings then tighten the neck screws and tune the strings. It only needs to move a small fraction about the thickness of a thin guitar pick.
Danny Ellison

Picure

Postby Picure » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:51 pm

Excellent! Ill try it later tonight and post the results then.

Thanks!

Picure

Postby Picure » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:31 am

So I removed the neck screws and it turns out that the neck was unmoveable because it seems like the neck has been gued in place. Also, I was unaware that the neck screws were of different length and accidently screwed the longer screws into the holes for the shorter screws which resulted in punching two holes through the lip at the heel of the neck. Still, the neck was unmoved which bring me to suspect that the neck has been glued in place. If so, why the screws? Seems pointless to me.

Before I accidently punched the holes in the neck.

Greg_L
Top Producer

Postby Greg_L » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:43 am

It looks like the entire range of strings is off kilter. Look how much room there is on the bass side between the low E and the edge of the fretboard. The G side is right at the edge of the fretboard. It almost seems like the bridge is off centerline a bit.

I'm NOT suggesting you move the bridge. Lol. That's just what it looks like to me in those pics.

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:45 am

Bummer! At this point it's best to put it back together and leave it as is otherwise it's going to need surgery by a luthier.
Danny Ellison

panther
Top Producer

Postby panther » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:53 am

The strings are misaligned. How is the spacing at the bridge, what about the nut.
Since the nut is pretty much fixed, My guess the saddles are off.
I HOPE THIS GOES WITHOUT SAYING, YOU DID LOOSEN THE STRINGS RIGHT ?

Dan
"The More People I Meet, The More I Miss My Dog"

Picure

Postby Picure » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:51 pm

I did loosen the strings when I removed the screws. Anyways, I eneded up setting up mt pickup height drastically to compensate for the unevem volume. I am just hoping that an original vintage Mosrite is way better and playable than this because I would like to get an original in the future. As for this bass, Ill try some modifications on it.

Return to “Mosrite & Clone, Projects, Parts & Accessories Q&A”