Wilson Brothers Guitars

Johnnyguitarjl

Wilson Brothers Guitars

Postby Johnnyguitarjl » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:07 am

Does anyone play a Wilson Bros guitar.They were inspired by Don Wilson of the Ventures.I've seen The Ventures on YouTube playing these.I've been to the Wilson Bros site and looked at them online.I live in Virginia and they are not in any music stores where I live.Thanks

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Re: Wilson Brothers Guitars

Postby GattonFan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 am

I have a Wilson VM-65. It's OK, not one of my favorites. Body styling reverted to the strat shape. Wide neck.

Dennis

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:55 am

Johnnyguitarjl wrote:Does anyone play a Wilson Bros guitar.They were inspired by Don Wilson of the Ventures.I've seen The Ventures on YouTube playing these.I've been to the Wilson Bros site and looked at them online.I live in Virginia and they are not in any music stores where I live.Thanks

WoW!! Johnny, you were so close!! There's a little info on WILSON Guitars
in this same Thread. Don't know if this helps, but:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=66
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

CraigSkelly

Postby CraigSkelly » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:15 pm

Johnny:
I just bought a Wilson Brothers VM-75 for $350 at the Guitar Show in Orange County. It's brand new with gig bag. The dealer said it was already professionally set up and I've been messing around with it and it feels good. I have a gig on 2/1 and will report to you how it holds up live...

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Hey Craig, seeing that you are a Jazzmaster player I'd bet you want be disappointed. Like Don Wilson, he preferred the larger Fender sized necks. Mosrites can get a little narrow at the zero fret for those with bigger hands. $350 was a great price.
Danny Ellison

GattonFan
Master Contributor

Postby GattonFan » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:38 pm

$350 was a great price - I paid $300 for my VM65. The neck is wide/flat on mine ... I prefer the narrower necks, but you made a good deal on that one.

Dennis

CraigSkelly

Postby CraigSkelly » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:51 am

Danny, you are right about the larger neck of the Wilson Bro's guitar. Being a Jazzmaster/Jaguar player in a surf band, I am used to larger necks. The Wilson Bro's neck is a great size for my big hands... I've been playing it every day since the weekend and will post a review and pix soon.

Nokie Van Reinhardt

Postby Nokie Van Reinhardt » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:29 pm

I scored a metallic red VM-65 on ebay for $275 plus $25 shipping and I've got to say I have no complaints. The guitar is unplayed mint. I find the neck comfortable even though I don't have huge hands and it's got great tones that the tone pot actually changes. Very Jazzmaster like but more versatile.

Sixstringer

Postby Sixstringer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:01 pm

I have 2, a sunburst VM-75 and a sunburst VM-10 (Strat body). I have no complaints except the VM-75's pickups seem a little microphonic. They tend to squeal easily when overdriven too much. So, if you use a lot of distortion beware of that. The VM-10 is a nice guitar for $200 in my opinion. With a good setup on either you can't go wrong. Fit and finish wise, I can't find any flaws on mine.
1965 Mosrite Ventures II
1971 Mosrite Mark 1
A whole bunch of other stuff
http://www.myspace.com/guitarjunkiejeff

CraigSkelly

Postby CraigSkelly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:31 am

I noticed the same "microphonic" effect with the pickups in my Wilson Bro's guitar so I called Lindy Fralin and asked his opinion. I ended up changing them out for his hum-cancelling P90's and the guitar sounds amazing. Here is the link to find out more about the pickups. http://fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp#p90

Return to “Modern Mosrites & Clones”