More pics from the Guitar Geek Festival...

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

More pics from the Guitar Geek Festival...

Postby Deke Dickerson » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Just got my photos from the "official" photographer today, thought you guys might like seeing some of these!!!

First up--a photo that any fans of the "Ventures In Japan" albums should have a heart attack over! It's from Garrett Immel's display in the guitar museum, featuring the exact setup Nokie used to record on the Ventures "Live In Japan '65" album....a 1963 sidejack Ventures model Mosrite, Guyatone "Concert Deluxe" tube piggyback amp, and even the tube Sony C-37a microphone as pictured on the album cover! man that's geeky! ha....

Secondly--here's some of the faces from this forum playing in the "All-Mosrite Band." Bob Shade of Hallmark is holding the sparkleburst 1965 Ventures model that the Ventures themselves played at the 1965 NAMM show! John Lackey (aka "Mosriteforever" on this forum) also of Hallmark is holding his very unique Mosrite Californian Dobro with paisley headstock. Forum member Adam Tober is holding his rare as heck Mosrite "Sooner" guitar. On the doubleneck, the two masters--Brian Lonbeck and Larry Collins!

Next is the best photo I got of the "All-Mosrite Band," though it still doesn't show everybody! From left to right, here goes: Far left is Terry McArthur of TNM Guitars holding his "The Maphis" doubleneck; seated is R.C. Allen, longtime guitar maker holding his 1959 Mosrite; Buddy Dughi of the Hot Rod Trio holding his doubleneck, Bob Shade with the 1965 Sparkleburst, Jim Washburn (partially obscured) holding a left handed Gospel model; Adam Tober with his "Sooner" model; John Lackey with his Dobro "Californian" model; partially obscured--Brian Lonbeck and Larry Collins; yours truly holding Gino King's custom 1965 doubleneck; author Robb Lawrence with 1963 sidejack; Jeff Utterbeck with slide whistle for "Batman;" Steve Soest holding his "Torquays" model; forum member Mel Waldorf with his V3 model; Chris Barfield with his 1964 Ventures model; Garrett Immel (with goatee & vest) holding candy apple red 1965 Ventures model; out of the picture was Mel Bergmann playing his 1963 Ventures bass, Pete Curry of Los Straitjackets on Mosrite Ventures II, Norm Cabrera of the Ghastly Ones on Mosrite Acoustic guitar, and Pat Quilter of QSC amps playing his late 60's Mosrite bass. there's probably a few others i missed too! It was a crazy night....

More fun, here's Jeff on slide whistle, Mel on V3, Garrett on Ventures model, Norm on acoustic...

Larry Collins shows how a REAL Mosrite player wears it on his sleeve...literally!

That's all for tonight folks, hopefully John and others will post more great geeky guitar photos as they come in....

Deke

oipunkguy
Master Contributor

Re: More pics from the Guitar Geek Festival...

Postby oipunkguy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:24 pm

totally awesome Deke!

on the first pic, I have a mic that looks very close to this, i'll post a pic of it .
Cheers,
Aaron
Facebook.com/aarons.guitars

"Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason."
— Mark Twain

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks Deke, we can never have too many pix ;)
make the Mos' of it, choose the 'rite stuff.
.........Owner of 9 Mosrites...
.....proud owner and documented:
1963 "the Ventures" Model s/n #0038
http://www.thevintagerockproject.com/

dubtrub
Administrator

Postby dubtrub » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 am

Man! I'm sure glad you got those pix, Deke. Mine turned out so blurry they were not usable. That was a special moment dedicated to Semie by gathering all those enthusiast onto that small stage. ;)
Danny Ellison

CraigSkelly

Postby CraigSkelly » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:51 am

Deke:
Great shots from a great evening! I especially liked it when you played those guitars strapped to the "palm tree"! What Fun! Ho daddy!!!

Deke Dickerson
Top Producer

Postby Deke Dickerson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 am

I've seen quite a few different Japanese microphones like this under different brands. They were obviously trying to copy the RCA ribbon mics but the funny thing about these Japanese mics were that they were generally crystal mic components (like a CB radio mic) that were stuffed into these big mic bodies to look like ribbon mics.

The Sony C-37a tube mic that was in the Guitar Geek pictures was Sony's first attempt at competing with the German tube condenser microphones. They are sort of cheesily built but are really great sounding tube condensers that are highly favored by today's producers. They were 300 bucks new in 1958 when they debuted, when a Neumann was only 500 bucks, so they were obviously trying to be serious about it.

Thanks for posting the pics, I wish I knew more but have never heard of the "Argomie" brand.

Deke

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:30 am

Deke Dickerson wrote:Just got my photos from the "official" photographer today, thought you guys might like seeing some of these!!!

First up--a photo that any fans of the "Ventures In Japan" albums should have a heart attack over! It's from Garrett Immel's display in the guitar museum, featuring the exact setup Nokie used to record on the Ventures "Live In Japan '65" album....a 1963 sidejack Ventures model Mosrite, Guyatone "Concert Deluxe" tube piggyback amp, and even the tube Sony C-37a microphone as pictured on the album cover! man that's geeky! ha....
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/ ... 0044-1.jpg
Secondly--here's some of the faces from this forum playing in the "All-Mosrite Band." Bob Shade of Hallmark is holding the sparkleburst 1965 Ventures model that the Ventures themselves played at the 1965 NAMM show! John Lackey (aka "Mosriteforever" on this forum) also of Hallmark is holding his very unique Mosrite Californian Dobro with paisley headstock. Forum member Adam Tober is holding his rare as heck Mosrite "Sooner" guitar. On the doubleneck, the two masters--Brian Lonbeck and Larry Collins!
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/ ... C_0820.jpg

Next is the best photo I got of the "All-Mosrite Band," though it still doesn't show everybody! From left to right, here goes: Far left is Terry McArthur of TNM Guitars holding his "The Maphis" doubleneck; seated is R.C. Allen, longtime guitar maker holding his 1959 Mosrite; Buddy Dughi of the Hot Rod Trio holding his doubleneck, Bob Shade with the 1965 Sparkleburst, Jim Washburn (partially obscured) holding a left handed Gospel model; Adam Tober with his "Sooner" model; John Lackey with his Dobro "Californian" model; partially obscured--Brian Lonbeck and Larry Collins; yours truly holding Gino King's custom 1965 doubleneck; author Robb Lawrence with 1963 sidejack; Jeff Utterbeck with slide whistle for "Batman;" Steve Soest holding his "Torquays" model; forum member Mel Waldorf with his V3 model; Chris Barfield with his 1964 Ventures model; Garrett Immel (with goatee & vest) holding candy apple red 1965 Ventures model; out of the picture was Mel Bergmann playing his 1963 Ventures bass, Pete Curry of Los Straitjackets on Mosrite Ventures II, Norm Cabrera of the Ghastly Ones on Mosrite Acoustic guitar, and Pat Quilter of QSC amps playing his late 60's Mosrite bass. there's probably a few others i missed too! It was a crazy night....

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/ ... C_0799.jpg

More fun, here's Jeff on slide whistle, Mel on V3, Garrett on Ventures model, Norm on acoustic...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/ ... C_0825.jpg

Larry Collins shows how a REAL Mosrite player wears it on his sleeve...literally!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/ ... C_0834.jpg

That's all for tonight folks, hopefully John and others will post more great geeky guitar photos as they come in....

Deke

Just my little 2 cents...BUT, I think this COLLECTION of PIX need to be
in the "Mosrite in Action" Thread, 'cause it don't get any better than this! ;)

TerryTNM
Top Producer

Postby TerryTNM » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am

A couple of friends of mine Frank Plesek and Lloyd Mills sent me these shots from the Geek Fest.

Sorry if a couple of them look a bit self-serving.

-Terry

Dennisthe Menace

Postby Dennisthe Menace » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:05 am

NICE!!! ;)

mosman
Top Producer

Postby mosman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 am

Crikey!!! That must have been one heckuva great night!

Return to “Music Related”