ron

Re: Old timer first timer to Mosrite

Postby ron » Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Thankyou for the welcome Frank.

Nokie
Top Producer

Postby Nokie » Wed May 23, 2012 6:09 pm

Nice to have you here, Ron. I can say, as one who does play a bit, that the Mosrite 12-string is the best 12 out there IMHO. I have two 1966 Ventures Model XII's and they play like 6-stringers. They also have a great sound. Have fun with yours! -Marty

ron

Postby ron » Fri May 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Well the 12 String has made it through customs and is now with the post office in the mean time I have been looking at the Blues Bender and have taken a few photos. It's in very good shape for it's years - Shame Semie didn't branch out into the Facial Cosmetic business and provided me with an everlasting look of youthfulness.

The model stamp on the neck is NO135, so probably dates to around 1973. However, the pots seem to give a different date. They are stamped on the side with EF7803 and Mexico 137 - I pressume this would translate to 1377803, the third week of 1978. It would appear that these pots were manufactured in Mexico for CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply). I have seen the same pots on a Brass Rail of a similar age and also on a 1973 Stereo Bass (1377343) most other Mosrites of a similar age appear to have been fitted with pots Numbered 134 produced by Molby Mepco/Central Labs Inc. I gather that in 1972 CBS Fender made a deal with a company in Mexico to assemble their pickguard electrics in their Strat and Telecasters and used the same 137 pots.

I am unsure as to if the pots have been changed at some time after 1978, there does appear to be some difference in the colour of the solder. The joints on the pots appear to be brighter than those on the toggle switch and sustain button. These appear to have a duller, silvery greyish appearance. I wondered whether or not the guitar body could have been made and then stored for sometime before final assembly. However, it does not distract from the overall sound of the guitar and for something of around 39 years old it sound a lot better than my wheezy chest.

Now to see if I can get the photos to load up.........................

http://s1153.photobucket.com/albums/p517/ronsones/

Return to “INTRODUCTION: Please Start Here”